Greenish thumb
I planted several herbs and plants in my backyard (which is crawling with big fat worms and slugs [Are slugs a bad sign?]) and I am happy to report that most of my plants are growing. The peas (from seeds!), alpine strawberry plant, and mint are doing great. The purple basil is doing poorly and the thyme, parsely and chives are slowly growing. Check out my beauties.
Peas, alpine strawberry (look! one red strawberry!) and mint.
Peas, alpine strawberry (look! one red strawberry!) and mint.

7 Comments:
You can grow chives on your kitchen counter, I think, in any old jar. Used to do it when I was a kid. I don't remember what we planted, tho--it wasn't seeds, maybe it was other chives, or small onions?
Anyway. Nice garden.
By
dan, At
9:04 PM
I like onion plants. Mike and I wanted them to be the center pieces to our wedding reception, but we were worried about the smell and well, it just didn't happen.
I think i will try my strawberry this weekend...If I get hanta virus, please alert the authorites to the source.
By
hkim, At
9:10 PM
hantavirus is korean. How appropriate:
The word hantavirus is derived from the Hantaan River, where the Hantaan virus (the etiologic agent of Korean hemorrhagic fever) was first isolated by Dr. Lee Ho-Wang. The disease associated with Hantaan virus is called Korean hemorrhagic fever (a term that is no longer in use) or hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome (HFRS), a term that is accepted by the World Health Organization.
By
dan, At
11:48 AM
in the US, hantavirus is commonly contracted from inhaling dust that contains particles of dried mouse urine. or at least this is how backpackers in southern california always seem to contract it from shelters.
also, i must amend my previous statement concerning the harmlessness of slugs: usually they only eat decaying matter. however, if there isn't enough of that they will eat plants. if you find holes in your plants, then kill the slugs. otherwise let them recycle the decaying matter so that your garden is fertilized.
By
josh, At
2:06 PM
My basil plant has holes...I'm getting a little worried. But these slugs are HUGE. Like the size of my thumb. How should I kill them?
By
hkim, At
3:58 PM
put a saucer of beer next to the plants and the slugs will drown in it. I'm curious....as a gardener..why are you planting plants in September? Don't you have winter in NYC? The plants will die off soon. All, except the peas, are perennials and will grow back next year.
By
Anonymous, At
1:17 PM
Thanks! As to why I am gardening now...because I really didn't know any better. Wholefoods was selling the strawberry plant (which they said was a perennial) and basil now. So I thought they wouldn't sell it unless I could plant it...
I think mint is a perennial too...
This is why I need a help of a gardener.
By
hkim, At
4:53 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home