Random Musing and Adventures

Friday, August 11, 2006

Is that a hard boiled egg in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

I stepped out to get a snack/second dinner a bit ago and saw the strangest thing. I was looking around the deli buffet to see if anything appealed to me and while standing by the salad bar, a man in a suit talking on his Razor cell phone walks in. He stands fairly close to me and right in front of the slices of hard boiled eggs. He looks furtively and grabs a fist full of hard boiled egg slices and shoves them in his pocket. He then takes another handful and eats it. I think my mouth dropped and I started to make a strange noise. The man speed walks out. I quickly tell the owner [primarily because I think it's unsanitary, though I was offended by his stealing] and then I did something, maybe not so smart. I followed him. What did I think I was going to do? I don't know. Yell at him. Tell him he has no home training. Anyway, once he saw me follow him out and to the corner, he ran. RAN. Broadway is pretty crowded, so I lost him.

But really, what was that all about? What was he going to do with that egg? He certainly looked well groomed (sans egg crumbs around his mouth) and had a nice suit, so he didn't look like he was hurting for a meal. How weird.

4 Comments:

  • c'est tres interresant. je pense que tu doit faire une etude sur le sujet "un homme s'habille en costume, et son desire pour les oeufs"...."....et comment je l'ai suivi".....

    By Blogger paducci, At 3:48 AM  

  • i never do trust those deli buffets.

    vij, i think she's got enough work with one thesis. another one might be too much.

    By Blogger dan, At 3:21 PM  

  • hyunmi, people in nyc steal all the time and for no reason at all. (i suppose elsewhere, too, to be fair.) i attribute it to greed. he obviously can afford a suit and razor cell phone (unless he stole those too). or maybe not. maybe he has no money left because he wasted it on looking good rather than having food. (i've never seen that in washington heights...)

    or maybe he is just greedy. they say most millionaires achieve that status by being very frugal. what's more frugal than not paying for anything?

    By Blogger josh, At 10:52 AM  

  • Maybe it was some sort of secret society initiation.

    By Blogger anna, At 8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home