Revolving Doors = Mental Lapse
I have always been astounded by the inability of people to use or understand how to use revolving doors. I work in a hospital. There is a huge entrance with a revolving door in the center and flanked on both sides are electric sliding doors. Since this is the main entrance to the hospital and to the emergency room, you would think that there would have to be electric sliding doors to accommodate the gurneys, wheelchairs, strollers, walkers, etc. that come through the main entrance. And there is. An automatic sliding entrance is on the right and the exit is on the left of the revolving doors. Now, people don't seen to understand that this and somehow try to squeeze all kinds of situations through the revolving doors. I'm talking things/people that OBVIOUSLY cannot get through nor should you try to get through for safety reasons (such as a gaggle of children, more than one elderly person with a walker, babies in strollers, people in wheelchairs, etc. It's not like each quarter is a luxurious size. It's your standard revolving door size. I have seen this on multiple occasion, but today was the icing on the cake. I was stepping into the revolving door in a half sleepy state and realized I couldn't push it. Why? Because each quarter was filled. With a population of a small country. It was like that game of how many people you would fit into a telephone booth or a punch buggy. It was so ridiculous. In one quarter was a woman with a small child and a stroller (infant in the stroller), the other had an elderly woman with a walker and a (not so smart or qualified) helper, the third was about 5 children between the ages of 4-13 (and I have to say that they were soooo tight in there that one kid was pressed against the glass) and I was in the last. I was able to squeeze out of my quarter and go through the electric doors (as these people clearly couldn't comprehend) all the while staring at this really bizarre predicament. How on Earth did these people think they would get through?!
Finally the security guard, who was watching with aggravation and amusement, came over and PUSHED like there was no tomorrow. Quite frankly, I would have left them there to learn a lesson, but really, that infant shouldn't have to suffer for the lack of logic skill in his/her guardian. How absurd. And the best part. Once they got through (they were not all together which means there are more than one group of people that thinks it is ok to do this) , they started to yell at the security guard for some reason or the other. Then, Then! A bunch of people who were waiting to go through the revolving doors also crammed themselves in (with a STROLLER!) and got stuck. What is wrong with people! Another guard was motioning to use the electric doors and they didn't listen. Oh man.
Therefore I conclude, based on many observation and today's personal experience, that revolving doors are somehow perceived as a magical portal of entry for most people where space constraints do not exist (I liken it to Mary Poppin's carpet bag), resulting in serious mental lapses. Incredible.
Finally the security guard, who was watching with aggravation and amusement, came over and PUSHED like there was no tomorrow. Quite frankly, I would have left them there to learn a lesson, but really, that infant shouldn't have to suffer for the lack of logic skill in his/her guardian. How absurd. And the best part. Once they got through (they were not all together which means there are more than one group of people that thinks it is ok to do this) , they started to yell at the security guard for some reason or the other. Then, Then! A bunch of people who were waiting to go through the revolving doors also crammed themselves in (with a STROLLER!) and got stuck. What is wrong with people! Another guard was motioning to use the electric doors and they didn't listen. Oh man.
Therefore I conclude, based on many observation and today's personal experience, that revolving doors are somehow perceived as a magical portal of entry for most people where space constraints do not exist (I liken it to Mary Poppin's carpet bag), resulting in serious mental lapses. Incredible.

2 Comments:
were their FACES smushed against the glass because it was so crowded?!
By
paducci, At
11:09 AM
Yes, and as a result there was facial grease and saliva on the glass.
Gross.
By
hkim, At
4:49 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home