Random Musing and Adventures

Monday, December 19, 2005

Strrrriiiiiiiike!

Man! A strike?! In NYC?! Craziness! This hasn't happened since 1980 and wouldn't you know it, but it happens when Mike has a job on East 53rd Street and before the holidays. I haven't finished my shopping. I stayed up until 3am waiting to hear about the strike only to go to bed without a clear answer. Do you know what this means? Among many things, this means I will have to pay extra for shipping. I must say I valiantly tried to finish my shopping, but I almost went ballistic in Macy's from the crowds and heat.

The strike doesn't affect my work (sadly), but it changes all the things of my daily life-the things I look forward to, like the gym...the gym...SoHo...the gym...Burrito Box...the gym. This essentially keeps me in Washington Heights. It will be an interesting time. The city is estimating a loss of 400-600 million a day. The dept stores and all other shops will take a major hit. I will not be able to..do stuff. Actually, I'm a bit scared that some people will take this to mean people close to work should take advantage of the strike and think that we should work MORE. MORE! Is that even possible? Mike will have to work from home but this means he will do laundry. Ha! The day is mine! I will keep you posted. (Not that anyone cares. )

Reporting from Washington Heights- Hyunmi Kim


On a side note, we signed up for Zipcar. I'm excited.

2 Comments:

  • For some reason reading this post made me decide to go outside and get a smoothie, as if to highilght that I need not use public transport to do this. i may also go to the met, because it is, after all, only a 15 min walk.

    of course if I did all this, I'd be procrastinating.

    what kinda pu*sy law firm is mike working for that they're not springing for cab service? :oP

    By Blogger dan, At 11:26 AM  

  • i read this while munching on baby carrots in the shore regions of new jersey where vehicles are a way of life, unfortunately.

    perhaps people will start using more alternative forms of transport, like bikes and feet? granted its a haul from washington heights to the village, but perhaps people will start biking/running to work or something.

    By Blogger paducci, At 11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home