Random Musing and Adventures

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

These are a few of my favorite things

The Christmas season always results in the "getting of more stuff." Normally, that's not a bad thing, especially since my family tends to be very good gift givers. However, upon getting married, I realized that there is NOTHING I really need. Also, considering the lack of storage in our apt., there isn't much I would want. In general, this is great news. Not getting stuff is great but this makes it difficult for those who wish to exchange gifts. Other than music from iTunes, I couldn't think of much more that I would want that doesn't take up space.

Nonetheless, I went through the various websites, bookmarks and wish lists I have noted over the year. I finally took the time and put most of them together, creating one fat list. This list is not complete and consists primarily of the things I would like to have but would generally not buy because they are useless. If I had won Mega Millions, ehhh, maybe I would have bought a few things.

Annnyyyywayyyy...I was poking around the MOMA store online and came across this which I added to my list:
What is it? It's a set of connected ring. Specifically, it is a Subtle Safety Defensive Ring designed by Kim Hoffmann, Amanda Knox, Sara Shaughnessy (2003). According to the site:
This unique piece of jewelry looks like a sculptural stacked ring; it also unfolds into three linked rings designed to be placed over three fingers. Made of sterling silver with stainless steel rivets. When sizing, select the size that fits the middle finger. Although this ring can be used as a defensive tactic, it is not meant to replace self-defense training.

The last line is my favorite. Crazy! How awesome! Essentially, they are brass (sorry, silver) knuckles all done up for the bourgeoisie. It's hysterical. You've got to love modern art.

7 Comments:

  • "oh, pardon me mr. rapist, whilst i take this ring off my finger, extend it fully, place it comfortably over three fingers, and knock you out. couldya just give me some pace while I do that, huh? thank you."

    might work.

    By Blogger dan, At 4:24 PM  

  • yup. I think i will make my homemade version. It will consist of beer bottle caps glued to rings. I think i can sell each for about 100 bucks. Whatcha think?

    By Blogger hkim, At 5:12 PM  

  • sprinkle broken glass over it

    By Blogger paducci, At 6:30 PM  

  • i think you got a winner

    By Blogger dan, At 12:04 AM  

  • yilin and i saw those at the MoMA store a few weeks ago. i thought they were cool. if i were a woman, that's the kind of jewelry i would wear. i wouldn't even leave it folded up; just walking down the streets of NYC with my pseudo-brassknuckles. i would be one bad chick.

    but vijay has hit the nail on the head: just wrap your fists in rope, dip them in glue, and then dip them again in broken glass, ala Kickboxer.

    as for your 'wist', i would only get you the books "off the map" or the one about movie trivia. anything else (except the aforementioned ring) might make you look too girly. i like my hyunmi the way she is: fresh 'n' spicy!

    By Blogger josh, At 3:44 PM  

  • Thanks Josh. But that's why they are wists. If I could put, "to become a lady" on there, I might. These are all the things I would theoretically like, but don't know if I would actually get for myself. But, I do have a terrible jewelry fascination. I LOVE jewlery. LOVE. But don't you worry, I'll always keep it real.

    By Blogger hkim, At 4:18 PM  

  • Remember Chapelle the skit "When Keepin it Real Goes Wrong."

    Hyunmi was walking down the street with her fancy silver safety defense rings when some guy bumped into her. She could have just kept walking, but she decided to "keep it real."

    Hyunmi: "Oh, that's it!, I keeepin in real!"

    After punching the man in the back of the neck she found out he was an undercover diplomatic defense corps agent who was guarding a visiting head of state who was coming out of a building just feet away. Hyunmi was immediately tackled by a slew of other agents and taken away while she screamed "I'll find you all! I keep it real!"

    By Blogger Michael Halas, At 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home