Random Musing and Adventures

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I don't have a million dollars...

So we didn't win; some lucky duck in Anaheim won. But the day is MINE! For I got to work early, have been productive, and will be buying lunch today. Fancy. Besides, how can the day be bad when you are listening to an awesome playlist including The Bangles, George Michael, Modern English, New Order, Prince (you have to love Kiss), Blondie, and several others groups. I think I may even go to the mouse house for a few hours.

Last night, Mike was out with his Spanish speaking buddy and that left me at home to do Hyunmi Stuff. What does this mean? It means I pumped the 80s music and made tomato-garlic soup and crostini brushed with infused olive oil and topped with Parmesan/asiago cheese. Then I danced for about 30 minutes, made a salad and danced until Mike came home. We ate with a great organic red wine then danced some more. It was great.

Mike pointed out that I shouldn't state that I am poor. Ok, so we're not financially stressed. But having been a student continuously since age 5 (that's 21 YEARS of non-stop fall schedules), I have adapted to living the life of a student, which to most people means cheap eats, long nights, and lots of beer-unless you are Mike and Vijay and go to Rafferty's for 7 continuous nights. I thought I was splurging when I went to Noodle Gourmet or Pooja. But I guess that's what happens when you make 6 bucks an hour (but I did work over 25 hours a week) throughout college (now the break down is like $10/hour) and engineers make like a million. Perhaps even mega millions...

10 Comments:

  • i am sad to hear that you are not filthy stinkin' rich now. maybe next time. ;)

    i think your $10 an hour estimate is generous. that works out to about 10 hrs/day on weekdays only. name one grad student who works so little. even i, a recently titled lord of slackery, work that much. i would estimate about 60 hrs/week, or about $8. all of this is before taxes, of course.

    i think you spoil mike. i haven't heard much about his cooking exploits. it seems like he goes out and has fun while you are home cooking. hmmm, not a bad deal...

    By Blogger josh, At 10:59 AM  

  • I agree. It is about 8/hr. I was trying to feel better about my noble career choice.

    I like to cook and so that is me having fun. AND, I get to dance and drink while doing so. What's better than that? Oh yeah, let's not forget my guilty pleasure of reading Star Magazine which I couldn't really do before I had a household income. He buys me fancy chocolates and Star Magazine and I cook and clean. Good deal.

    By Blogger hkim, At 11:34 AM  

  • hush! don't let him hear you say that, or you will be forever indentured! emancipation, womyn! burn your bras! down with the man!

    By Blogger josh, At 12:42 PM  

  • Every Sunday when I am in Rochester, for as long as I can remember, my mother, sister and I would have brunch with my grandmother and all pour over Star Magazine. We ate that shit up.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:40 PM  

  • If I wone 300 million dollars I'd give all of you a couple million so you could stop being students and lawyers and become rich neo-aristocrats with me. For serious.

    By Blogger dan, At 12:20 AM  

  • That is the kindest thing I have ever heard. History books and lectures by world leaders and advocates of social justice have never uttered such moving words. I'm in awe of your philanthropy.

    By Blogger hkim, At 8:55 AM  

  • For someone who never buys lottery tickets, I've given quite a bit of thought about how I'd allocate some percentage of the winnings to my close friends. One tricky question is married couples, ie you and Halas, Igal and Olga: do they get double the standard amount, or not? It's tricky business. Thankfully, since I am not mentally ill, I stop thinking about it around the time I get into the contractual and tax issues of this hypothetical transaction.

    By Blogger dan, At 9:46 AM  

  • go buy a house, then you'll be poor.

    while we're on this, if i had the loot, i'd work, but like, have one of those cool jobs that doesn't get paid alot and is rewarding cuz it makes other people happy. not sure what that is tho.

    uhm, yeah, and i'll spread the word to the world about POOFs!!!

    By Blogger paducci, At 2:20 PM  

  • vijay, i think the type of job you are referring to is known as a "Walmart Greeter." they always manage to brighten my day. :)

    By Blogger josh, At 5:46 PM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home