If I had a million dollars...
Much like the BNL's song, this phrase was beginning to a lengthy conversation in lab. We have (along with several other people on the floor) started a pool. 5 bucks each and now we have over 30 people participating all for the Mega Millions 315 million dollar jackpot. So of course this raised the question, "What will you do with your share?"
This is the list that was generated in lab:
1. *Pay off undergrad loans (this would make me so happy)
2. Eat at Jou Jou everyday for lunch (When the prospect of eating a 6-9 dollar lunch everyday is your millionaire's dream, you know you're pretty poor-poor Katie, she really needs a live in to split her costs.)
3. Pay for my own wedding (Good one Alison!)
4. *Hire a personal chef to teach me how to cook all kinds of things.
5. * Send out my laundry.
6. Buy a soccer field.
7. Take care of my parents forever (I think all of us said this).
8. Have private funding for your own lab (yeah right! The post doc said this one.)
9. Hire personal masseuse.
10. Buy my way into politics (oh, poor Katie).
11. *Buy a baby panda.
12. *Donate enough money to Rutgers to start a monorail system (No more buses catching on fire!)
13. *Buy an awesome house some where in the woods or in a vineyard where we would have parties and relaxing weekends (and it would have a horse!)
*Things I particularly wanted to do.
Notice that there really was no, "I'm going to quit!" outcry from anyone. This is because we, the noble people we are, do this low paying, backbreaking job for the love and pursuit of science and knowledge. Beautiful, isn't it? In any event, I will be able to buy all organic, free-range, fair trade foods, contribute to certain political/social causes. I will also be able to support artist by buying their wares (esp. clothes and jewelry) that I currently can't do because I only buy things that are dirt cheap which either support corporate buying power or takes advantage of an independent store owner's closeout sale. Sad. So I try not to shop.
But tomorrow when I am a millionaire, things will be different. And if I'm not a millionaire, then I will drink my morning coffee, happy that at least I can afford fair trade coffee beans and an Equinox membership with a great gym partner (getting married was a good idea...for several reasons) What more do you need?
This is the list that was generated in lab:
1. *Pay off undergrad loans (this would make me so happy)
2. Eat at Jou Jou everyday for lunch (When the prospect of eating a 6-9 dollar lunch everyday is your millionaire's dream, you know you're pretty poor-poor Katie, she really needs a live in to split her costs.)
3. Pay for my own wedding (Good one Alison!)
4. *Hire a personal chef to teach me how to cook all kinds of things.
5. * Send out my laundry.
6. Buy a soccer field.
7. Take care of my parents forever (I think all of us said this).
8. Have private funding for your own lab (yeah right! The post doc said this one.)
9. Hire personal masseuse.
10. Buy my way into politics (oh, poor Katie).
11. *Buy a baby panda.
12. *Donate enough money to Rutgers to start a monorail system (No more buses catching on fire!)
13. *Buy an awesome house some where in the woods or in a vineyard where we would have parties and relaxing weekends (and it would have a horse!)
*Things I particularly wanted to do.
Notice that there really was no, "I'm going to quit!" outcry from anyone. This is because we, the noble people we are, do this low paying, backbreaking job for the love and pursuit of science and knowledge. Beautiful, isn't it? In any event, I will be able to buy all organic, free-range, fair trade foods, contribute to certain political/social causes. I will also be able to support artist by buying their wares (esp. clothes and jewelry) that I currently can't do because I only buy things that are dirt cheap which either support corporate buying power or takes advantage of an independent store owner's closeout sale. Sad. So I try not to shop.
But tomorrow when I am a millionaire, things will be different. And if I'm not a millionaire, then I will drink my morning coffee, happy that at least I can afford fair trade coffee beans and an Equinox membership with a great gym partner (getting married was a good idea...for several reasons) What more do you need?

8 Comments:
i was going to buy you and katie each a megamillions ticket. i guess i no longer need to. what would i do with a million dollars?
two chicks at the same time.
By
josh, At
4:09 PM
very nice. I would too, except I think I would rather ask for a printer that does not tell me "PC Load Letter." It's been giving me a case of the Mondays.
By
hkim, At
4:21 PM
i can't find my stapler.
thanks for the thought josh. if we win, i'll buy you an apple, b/c eating an apple is nature's way of brushing your teeth.
By
Anonymous, At
4:25 PM
I think this is why Katie eats a lot of apples. Her chronic halitosis is a problem that even apples cannot solve. Poor Katie.
:)
By
hkim, At
4:57 PM
liar! you are so mean. for everyone reading this, she is sitting beside me giggling at her own evilness. sometimes i am afraid for hama when i look to his role models in life...
By
Anonymous, At
5:38 PM
hahaha! Ok, so Katie doesn't have halitosis. In fact she smells quite nice, like cherries and almonds. I am just a girl with a serious mean streak and Katie is an easy target. Poor Katie.
By
hkim, At
5:51 PM
hyunmi, you are not mean. katie is just overly sensitive about odors which emanate from various parts of her body.
i like to think that i am one of hama's role models, and that he will grow up bigger than a daisy or a carrot. then he can crush those mean bully rabbits that pick on all the small bunnies.
By
josh, At
6:42 PM
It's true. Hama does hope to be strong and big one day. He has been lifting Lincoln Logs to get stronger. He will get back at those bullies, like Katie, while punching one and kicking the other.
By
hkim, At
8:38 AM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home