Random Musing and Adventures

Monday, October 24, 2005

Mish mash of thoughts, activities and lice inspections

This weekend involved many things. We got rid of our bed and got a new one. We also got a very large wardrobe for Mike's increasing collection of fine shirts and jackets and a small wardrobe for my stuff (It turns out I have more clothing, but according to Mike, since I am smaller, it looks like the same or less than his stuff and I therefore deserve less space.). We stayed up until 3am or so putting together Ikea furniture (of course we had meatballs and lingonberry while there.). If you want to really test the boundaries of your relationship, forget the Cosmo quizzes and try putting furniture with really annoying directions together. Mike and I powered through! Although, the real test in my opinion is working together to put a Thule rack on your car (dam Swedish directions!). Now our bedroom is functional and I can sit in there and read, and we can both be in there while getting ready. Fantastic!
We saw Denise and Norm (and the kids) on Saturday which was lots of fun. On Sunday, I worked then met up with Mike to go to SoHo to buy the new ipod nano. Those things are ridiculous! Knowing me, I would manhandle one of those, rendering it unusable after 5 minutes. We walked around and finally went to Little Poland for dinner, where the food is as good as the music of Chopin. That's pretty dam good. We really like this place. The food is great and plentiful, but the best part is that it's also inexpensive. I had hoped to stop into Venerio's, one of my favorite pastry places, but was so stuffed that I felt really gluttonous if I did. In the end, my sweet tooth got the better of me and I had to stop into the Dunkin Donuts before hoping on the L train. I should have gone to Venerio's.

So here is the important part of my blog. For this I am enlisting the help of those of you who have known Mike since grade school or have at least gone to the same school(s) (even if you know people who have is good enough). Now, I am sure most, if not all, of you had lice examination in grade school. The nurse comes in and sits you under a high power light and magnifying glass and checks for eggs. This happens once a year and only until junior high or so (why do they think they only need to check until junior high?). Now, Mike claims to not have had lice exams. And if he did, he really thinks he might have been exempt because as he put it, "I was clean and and wasn't dirty like you or the kids you grew up with." He refuses to admit he has had lice inspections. I have checked with Mrs. Snyder and Mrs. Baldyga. They have confirmed that lice exams were given. Mike claims their children did not go to the same school as he did and he therefore must not have had them. He says I am dirty and at the very least the kids in my town were (I'm sure lots of them were, but that's besides the point!). The nerve!
SO this is what I am asking of you:
If any of you went to school with Mike or grew up with kids that did please confirm that lice exams were in fact given.
Confirm that lice exams are not for dirty people ONLY.
Confirm that Mike is a jackass.

I have tried to give him a lice inspection. He doesn't seem to cooperate. Bad.

9 Comments:

  • I never had a lice exam. Actually, I wasn't aware of any children having lice at my school. Some of them seemed slightly less then hygenic though, so I guess maybe there should have been inspections? What I do remember are those hearing tests with those creepy, distant rings. creepy... The moral of the story is that you may have escaped the comb Mike, but you are still a jackass.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:52 PM  

  • MMMMM lice!! Do clean children get them?... perhaps they do, perhaps they don't. Did I get them? I'm not sure, I don't recall. However, we all know at least I did not NEED them because I was clean. But do dirty kids need them? Sure they do! Ahh! Irrefutable logic that Hyunmi was a dirty child.


    Disclaimer: I apologize to all children reading this who have had lice inspections and now know they are dirty like the lice infested head of Hyunmi. It is ok, don’t feel bad, she turned out great. But that does not change the fact she needed lice inspections.

    By Blogger Michael Halas, At 4:55 PM  

  • See! See everyone! See the cruelty I married! All because Vijay wouldn't act fast enough.

    By Blogger hkim, At 5:02 PM  

  • I'm not sure lice is a factory of cleanliness. That's like saying bedbugs only exist on dirty beds... but the exist on all beds. I think Mr. Halas may be abnormal for NOT having lice at some point... like what's wrong with his head that the lice didn't want to party there? His head must be waaaaaaay gross.

    (ps. re: nano: didn't you just buy like seventeen iPods? have you succumbed to the ad campaigns? btw apple is getting sued over that nano thing cos its screen apparently is really easily scratched to the point where it cannot be read.)

    By Blogger dan, At 10:55 PM  

  • Ok. I would like to re-state here that I NEVER had lice. I had lice CHECKS, but was never sent home with lice. So I am not saying Mike is lying about not having lice, but for believing he never have lice exams. Anyway, as far as ipods are concerend, yes, we have purchased several, and yes it was all my fault that the old ones are now missing. Therefore, new ones were purchased. The nano is pretty sweet.

    By Blogger hkim, At 11:38 AM  

  • You lost your iPods? I bet you're itching for the day they can just implant these things in our heads. Sure, you won't be able to turn off the music and the inevitable ads and government messages. But you'll never lose it.

    Unless you lose your mind, which is a whole other thing.

    I can't at all recall if I had lice or not, but I... oh, no, I just remembered: I did. It was going around in our school, 2nd or 3rd grade, I think. I just have vague vague memories of a metal brush, and some smelly shampoo. A few days later and the bugs are gone.

    By Blogger dan, At 2:13 PM  

  • as dan stated, being 'clean' or 'dirty' is irrelevant to the lice. if you are within a few meters or so of a lice-infested scalp, they will detect your unexplored world of hair and catapult to your head like the rotting cattle carcasses that were thrown into castle walls during sieges so long ago. anyone can get lice, just like anyone can get hiv, ergo all children should be inspected.

    and no mike, your shit doesn't smell like roses. ;)

    as for the ipods, i thought it was nobody's fault or both of your faults for losing them. but, i bet it's easier to just get a shiny new nano with an excuse.

    By Blogger josh, At 1:46 PM  

  • To everyone: Listen. Obviously I know all these things and just LOVE saying them make Hyunmi very annoyed. Really, it is great fun.

    To Hyunmi: Dirty lice head, dan had lice too! You are both DIRTY!

    By Blogger Michael Halas, At 8:52 PM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home