Random Musing and Adventures

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Laguna Beach, friend or foe?

Last night a certain Miss K and I watched Laguna Beach together. I have never seen this show, but have been kept abreast by Miss K. Now, I can't reveal her identity since she is shamed, SHAMED, by the fact that she watches this show with great earnest. I will catch her now and then checking out the MTV site and is very upset at the prospect of working late and missing the show. So out of respect for Miss K (after all, her stature WILL fall if people discover her love for this show...and Next Top Model.) Now, I never did like shows involving high school dramas such as Dawson's Creek, 90210 (I have to say I did watch this, but stopped my freshman year in high school), and the OC (which I have never watched so obviously I really can't say I don't like it.). But I have in the past been roped in by these type of shows. Often I have a friend who is an avid watcher and because of the situation (roommates, school friends, co-workers) I have joined in once or twice, mostly because I would like to know what they are talking about. So then one show becomes two and suddenly I know more about the show than I want to.
So going back to Laguna Beach. Miss K (who enjoys running, reading and science) invited me over to watch last nights episode. This was about their senior prom. Now, I don't know what your proms were like, but I don't remember my boyfriend showing up at my house with roses or in a gorilla suit to ask me. Maybe him not being allowed at my house was a factor, but somehow I doubt many others had experiences like the one these girls had. Perhaps if all of us lived in Laguna Beach our lives would be more dramatic. I digress. This show, which to my surprise, is not scripted and is, how you say, TERRIBLE. TERRIBLE. HORRIBLE. Much worse than Swans Crossing (Why do I still remember that show?!) and that was a scripted show, albeit a poorly done one. I didn't think people actually lived lives like that. Wow.
So I don't think I will be watching that show again. I have to say I am slightly intrigued at the horror I witnessed and feel slightly compelled to subject myself to it again. Will LC ditch Steven and go out with Jason? But I don't think so. And so Miss K will have to continue living in her single viewer Laguna Beach world (This is sad since she is a FANTAstic person.). Maybe I can be swayed to watch America's Next Top Model with her. After all, I have been known to watch The Gilmore Girls, but their witty comments (not so witty sometimes. Rory can be really dumb.) and wardrobe often keep my attention enough to watch an episode. I don't find any appeal in Laguna Beach. But I can see why people like it. Just not me. So I vote foe. Oh, and I don't believe in giving The West Wing a chance.

11 Comments:

  • This Miss K you speak of sounds like a very intelligent and respectable young lady. I wouldn't doubt any of her tastes. I hear she also enjoys long walks on the beach, pina coladas and romantic nights under the stars. Maybe she likes the Fantauzzi too, huh?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:35 PM  

  • You lika the Fantauzzi? Come over so I can a show you the Fantauzzi.

    This was what I was promised and I never got it. (Single tear rolls down my fat cheek.)

    By Blogger hkim, At 7:38 PM  

  • I think refering to her as Miss K is too obvious. You should call her Katie F, no, no, no perhaps K Fantauzzo.

    By Blogger Michael Halas, At 8:34 PM  

  • I happened to catch this very same episode while I was "working from home" awaiting for a delivery this afternoon. Funny that you mentioned the elaborate prom proposal. Being a foreigner, I was wondering if that was normal and I was thinking that could very well be a normal person's wedding proposal.. Life on Laguna Beach seems pretty nice.. btw, love your wedding pictures, they are very pretty.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:05 AM  

  • Yeah, I am fairly certain that prom "proposals" aren't usually that elaborate. Maybe flowers, but a gorilla suit and a corny garage flower suprise (if someone did that to me I think I would be mortified.)? But maybe I am just being harsh or angry. I mean, I really wanted Mike to propose to me dressed like Shamu. My dreams are forever crushed and these dam chicks at Laguna Beach have all the fun.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who found it strange.

    By Blogger hkim, At 8:41 AM  

  • yeah, i hope KATIE FANTAUZZO, yeah i said it, realizes that these shows are just an escape from the harsh realities of life, such as passing out on bathroom floors after a single serving of fermented beverage.

    By Blogger paducci, At 10:24 AM  

  • Vijay, you are in big trouble after that comment. BIG TROUBLE. I will never live down that night on the floor of the Duncraggen...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:28 AM  

  • Oh yes, I agree all the proposals are very corny. I would be disgusted but maybe I'm just jealous. And Vijay, there's nothing shameful about passing out on bathroom floors after a single serving of fermented beverage! Maybe you're jealous that you have to spend more money to get this joy. =)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:10 AM  

  • You don't know what you're missing. I think Miss K ought to watch the West Wing, if she watches other things. There's an all-day marathon today, in fact. Miss K ought to check it out. On BRAVO.

    Oh and, the only other show I really like? Project: Runway. It's good. :)

    By Blogger dan, At 12:52 PM  

  • Miss K is busy unpacking PCR tubes. And I assume she does watch The West Wing, I mean her having crossed over to the dark side and all.
    I personally enjoyed Miss K's drunken state in my bathroom. I thought she was asking me to go with her so she could tell me a juicy secret...unfortunately it was juicy throw up. It was fun trying to use the loo with her head positioned so close to the toilet.

    By Blogger hkim, At 1:24 PM  

  • I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! piece of crap chrysler neon mortgage brokers

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home