Dinner menu?
My parents have never seen our new apt. My dad's suggestion was to wait until we got settled to invite them, especially since he senses that my mother may be hypercritical. Moreover, I think he thinks that I will perceive my mother as hypercritical and therefore stress out and never graduate from school. Correct as he may be, I realize it would be rude of me not to invite them (and the rest of my family) over for dinner one night. Given that there is never a good time, I thought this weekend would suffice. It's before the rush of my TRAC (Thesis Research Advising Committee) meeting and house guests coming over (yay for house guests!) and if I wait too long, I will continue to feel bad for dragging my feet on this matter (much like thank you cards; don't worry guys, I PROMISE they are coming...). So I called my parents, checked with the siblings and made a commitment for this Saturday. Why does this deserve a blog?
1. Because it's my blog.
2. Because I will be hosting a dinner party for the first time in the apt.
3. Because I need to make a fancy meal.
For those of you who have been to the fine estate known as The Duncraggan, you all know how...compact our abode is. Did you even see a table? No! That's because we have these.
Awesome. All the mats will be making an appearance.
So what will be on the menu?
This is what I am thinking:
Starters:
Homemade hummus (compliments of Hisham's recipe) with warm pita
Appetizer:
Portabello mushroom grilled and marinated in balsamic vinegar topped with a spinach/pine nut medley, roasted red peppers and tomatoes (heirloom!) and shaved asiago cheese (maybe fresh ricotta)
Placing this in a roasted onion/garlic/ crushed red pepper olive oil base.
Soup? I don't know if we should have one.
Entree:
Filet Mignon marinated in a fig and apricot base with a little balsamic vinegar (maybe sherry) with black olives (Greek ones- fresh of course) added at the end.
Served with grilled squash, carrots, asparagus (with or without a honey-ginger sauce...it may collide with the fruit base of the meat....and a side of wild rice)
Dessert:
Margarita-esq cheesecake.
And a small dessert from Whole Foods (this is a standard in my parents' house)
Drinks:
red wine
white wine
mojitos
Martinis (extra dry with Bombay Sapphire, straight up with a twist)
Soda (for the underage)
This will give me an excuse to use all the cool kitchen gadgets you get when you get married.
So, I placed this up on my blog to get opinions. All these recipes (except the hummus) are made up in my head. The Fig and apricot are a suggestion from my PI. Though I plan on using fresh fruits. What do you guys think? Any suggestions? Let me know by Friday so I can go to Fairway.
1. Because it's my blog.
2. Because I will be hosting a dinner party for the first time in the apt.
3. Because I need to make a fancy meal.
For those of you who have been to the fine estate known as The Duncraggan, you all know how...compact our abode is. Did you even see a table? No! That's because we have these.
Awesome. All the mats will be making an appearance.
So what will be on the menu?
This is what I am thinking:
Starters:
Homemade hummus (compliments of Hisham's recipe) with warm pita
Appetizer:
Portabello mushroom grilled and marinated in balsamic vinegar topped with a spinach/pine nut medley, roasted red peppers and tomatoes (heirloom!) and shaved asiago cheese (maybe fresh ricotta)
Placing this in a roasted onion/garlic/ crushed red pepper olive oil base.
Soup? I don't know if we should have one.
Entree:
Filet Mignon marinated in a fig and apricot base with a little balsamic vinegar (maybe sherry) with black olives (Greek ones- fresh of course) added at the end.
Served with grilled squash, carrots, asparagus (with or without a honey-ginger sauce...it may collide with the fruit base of the meat....and a side of wild rice)
Dessert:
Margarita-esq cheesecake.
And a small dessert from Whole Foods (this is a standard in my parents' house)
Drinks:
red wine
white wine
mojitos
Martinis (extra dry with Bombay Sapphire, straight up with a twist)
Soda (for the underage)
This will give me an excuse to use all the cool kitchen gadgets you get when you get married.
So, I placed this up on my blog to get opinions. All these recipes (except the hummus) are made up in my head. The Fig and apricot are a suggestion from my PI. Though I plan on using fresh fruits. What do you guys think? Any suggestions? Let me know by Friday so I can go to Fairway.

4 Comments:
I'm afraid I have no suggestions but, it's about 10:40 at the moment and you just made me quite hungry. BLAST YOU MRS. KIM HALAS! BLAAAAAST YOU!
By
dan, At
10:42 PM
yeah, do all of that. its good. feed me too.
By
paducci, At
11:00 AM
thanks. i think i'm going to use asiago cheese and make zucchini/potato pancakes instead roasted veggies...but roasted veggies are lighter. well. Mr. A. if someone would comeover i could make u all of this, and MORE.
By
hkim, At
1:53 PM
Dinner went well! Food was good and everyone really like the apt. the liked it so much that they want to come back...the best part was that my mom did most of the dishes :)
By
hkim, At
11:31 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home