Pumping up With Hans & Franz
I had a fairly busy weekend, though I did not work on my TRAC as much as I should have. The best part of the weekend our new fancy gym. That's right. Now that Mike is a fancy money maker (well, most anyone is compared to grad students), we joined Equinox together. This fancy Columbus Circle location (the best location for both our work places) boasts a pool! We lifted weights and went for a nice run Central Park on Saturday and took a vinyassa yoga class on Sunday (it really kicked our asses). It was also great to feel the New York Marathon energy in the city (Man! The men's elite race was amazing!).
So we decided to start a new routine where we go to the gym every morning. This means we have to get up at 6.30 or so. Considering I am not an early riser (well, not late, but certainly not that early.), this is a difficult task to embark on. It started this morning, and as I told Mike, just making it on the subway at 6.50am is an accomplishment. At this point, I don't even need to workout to feel good about myself. Of course I did and I felt great. The super nice locker room definitely helps, but the reward of breakfast at Whole Foods is even better. Tomorrow we go to a 7am CardioStregnth class. This means we have to get up earlier than today...we shall see about that.
I hope cheese danishes are involved. That or Nathan's Hotdogs. Oh yeah, and I get to reward myself with a little nap on the subway as I go uptown to work.
So we decided to start a new routine where we go to the gym every morning. This means we have to get up at 6.30 or so. Considering I am not an early riser (well, not late, but certainly not that early.), this is a difficult task to embark on. It started this morning, and as I told Mike, just making it on the subway at 6.50am is an accomplishment. At this point, I don't even need to workout to feel good about myself. Of course I did and I felt great. The super nice locker room definitely helps, but the reward of breakfast at Whole Foods is even better. Tomorrow we go to a 7am CardioStregnth class. This means we have to get up earlier than today...we shall see about that.
I hope cheese danishes are involved. That or Nathan's Hotdogs. Oh yeah, and I get to reward myself with a little nap on the subway as I go uptown to work.

4 Comments:
reading this was painful. I remember Mike and I once tried to play raquetball early in the morning, freshman year at school I think. Maybe soph? Anyway, it was ridiculous, our eyes couldn't even keep up with the ball, zooming by us so quick.
I tried to wake up early today too, around 8... but found myself getting out of bed at 9, anyway.
By
dan, At
11:09 AM
Haha! Mike told me the same story with a tinge of trepidation in his voice as he made a morning commitment.
By
hkim, At
12:11 PM
glad to hear that you two are getting in shape. your appearance was beginning to disgust me. ;P
note that when running and lifting weights in the same day, it is better to run first. you will be a bit weaker during your weight routine, but you will recover from your workouts faster. lifting creates microtears in the muscle fibers. running causes the tears to get larger from all the bouncing.
plus, if you run first, you'd've gotten the blood flowing for your lift, which will help move lactic acid out of your body. (i know running afterward will do the same, but trust me on the microtear thing.)
By
josh, At
3:06 PM
My appearance astounds you and confounds you, don't lie.
good call josh, strong man of steel. I suppose you learned all of this and more from watching, "Pumping Iron?"
Since I run like a sloth, I'm sure there were no micro tears. At least not the ripping kind. But appreciated advice nonetheless.
I think I might quote some of Arnold's famous phrases out loud for inspiration at the fancy gym.
By
hkim, At
3:48 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home