I know what it feels like to be Al Gore


A while back, we (Vijay, Katie, Mike and I) decided to do the NYRR Midnight Run. This run is also a costume contest party. I thought dressing up as the Super Mario Bro might be fun, especially since I have a special place in my heart for Vijay's previous Mario costume. But then, I thought, OOOOH! Mario Kart! Ingenious. This gives us the ability to bash into each other as we run. Vimal, hearing this news, signed on and so now we were on our way to a seriously fun New Year's Eve.
I don't think I need to re-cap the overall sentiments of the costume party and judging since this has been well documented by Mike, Vimal and Vijay, but I will anyway because the situation was so wrong. Popular vote appears to disagree with Ms.President of NYRR and Ms. Emerald Nuts. In their infinite wisdom, our costumes were inferior to that of a dog. I wasn't expecting to win, I was just suprised that the dog beat us. I'm not being bitter here. What I am is flabbergasted. Everyone seemed to love our costumes, even those who did not know who we were. We had two people involved in the contest tell us how great it was and how we should have win. We were robbed of our victory, at least one over the dog. The feeling of complete confusion when the dog was announced (not to mention the look on Mike's face) could only be placed in the same category as the shock of Al Gore's win in the popular vote but loss for the presidency in the 2000 election. Mr. Gore, I feel for you.
The dog! I'm convinced that the dog costume is this guy's work clothes. (I saw you with your mask off. I know who you are.) I imagine that he works for children's parties and banks handing out balloons and old lollipops. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs but for a costume party, no contest, it's kind of lame. It wasn't even of a famous dog. It's the equivalent of me showing up to this event with a lab coat on and saying I am a scientist. Your work clothes or a obviously generic costume should NOT WIN. So it's not his fault that he wore his work clothes, it's the judges fault for being boring and lame.
Despite the injustice, the night was the blast. I will list the things that I found most humorous/memorable that were not listed in the other recounts of the night.
1. Making Julia's Roast Lemon Chicken with Herbs- it's fantastic. I changed it a bit and it was really yummy.
2. Having EVERYONE stare at us and seeing/hearing people in the park and on subway trains cheer for us.
3. While approaching 125th St., a group of people stared at us then finally realized what we were and came to talk to us. After some introduction (Hi, I'm Mario...), the one guys said, "Look, they made the black guy the bad guy."
The "black guy" they were referring to was Vimal.
4. Mike's seriousness of the contest parade. He made sure that we were all in a single file and berated Vijay when he accidently wandered off.
5. The look of complete disgust on Mike's face when they announced the dog. He had no shame in showing his feelings.
6. Dancing with Katie, aka. Princess, to Sweet Caroline
7. Singing "Living on a Prayer" with passion while standing on the benches.
8. Running with a mushroom cap which is filled with about 15-20 plastic bags. It was so damn hot. I now own many shower caps should you ever need one.
9. Mike singing his Mario Bro version of "Gold Digger"
I need the gold coin
To get a new life
I need a hundred
For the 1up
It kept going. I almost peed myself, He also did it in a high pitched voice.
10. Coping out at mile 2 with the goal of getting fries and ice cream.
We had a great night. And in many ways, that damn dog made it a little more interesting. Happy New Year!
Pics on Mike's and Vijay's page.
Katie does not have a page.

9 Comments:
You have the best blog entries. Mike and I are awful.
By
paducci, At
1:13 AM
Oh yeah, and some of yours links are messed up.
Also, don't use the "links to this page" links, click on the time in the post, or the title of the post in the post listing to get to the "post page".
I still heart this post
By
paducci, At
1:17 AM
"Katie does not have a page."... and she has a small kitchen. Why don't you just say it!? I know you are thinking it! I made tea last night and it was the best tea ever b/c it was made in my quaint and cozy kitchen.
Ok, all of you failed to elaborate on a very important element of our night. The extreme violence. We started out the run nice and happy together. By the time we got to the mile marker, all hell broke loose. Mike started going crazy, bashing everyone's cardboard car with the handle portion of his plunger. He was hitting us so hard that every time the handle made contact with the cardboard it made a huge bang and literally everyone within 50ft of us would turn around and stare like they expected to see a crazed killer holding a machine gun. This continued through the two mile point, when Mike decided he would try to stick his plunger into the tears he had already created in the cardboard and just rip it completely apart. It was ridiculous. At one point Hyunmi, Vimal and I even tried to hide behind some trees to get away from the carnage, but we were discovered and made to pay. By the end of the night I was a princess no more, but some girl in a furry pink tiara, an over-sized fleece shirt and a ratty cardboard box with initials that may or may not have stood for pussy power.
By
Anonymous, At
10:54 AM
Katie, someone needs to get there own blog. Vijay, your face is awful.
By
Michael Halas, At
11:15 AM
Mike, someone needs to learn the difference between there and their. Ha!
By
Anonymous, At
11:31 AM
Most links are fixed Vijay. It's the damn apostrophes in Mike's titles. Blogger has a problem with them.
I heart you.
Katie- this may be the longest comment ever. Good job.
By
hkim, At
12:44 PM
I had some people I know dispatched to find the dog. He has been tied up and sent to North Korea, where they will throw him in a vat of boiling water, skin him, and then cook him.
I hate you all, by the way, for quitting at 2 miles. I can run/fast-walk two miles without my knees popping off. I could've been Wario.
WOE!
By
dan, At
7:00 PM
you guys look so adorable i wish i coulda been yoshi
By
wonmi, At
12:17 PM
Excellent, love it! facelift golden ratio Auto dealer new spokane total health care insurance California boating accident lawyer Penis dictionary Area rugs and matching runners japanese hardcore pictures Application as consideration lottery Laser facial plastic surgery 1960 225 buick electra facelift no cutting Alabama isp internet service provider lab jackets for nurses
By
Anonymous, At
7:20 AM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home