Beer Tasting
Yesterday Mike and I hosted our first annual beer tasting party. I figured this was a nice way to get people together under the guise of celebrating fall and Oktoberfest but really to drink a lot of beer on a Sunday afternoon. The plan was to assign everyone a region or specialty and have them bring three beers of different types from their designated region (they would also bring 3 of each type making a total of 9 beers). Since there were 9 of us there were 27 different beers. Each beer was put in a paper bag and taped at the top so no labels could be seen (since each beer was present in triplicate, I put all in its own shopping bag then on ice). In addition, all beers were grouped so we drank from the least bitter to the most bitter (according to IBUs if possible). I would then uncap a bunch of the bags of beer and Mike would pick one bag out of the group and pour. This way I didn't know what beer was going to be served, though I knew what everyone brought, and Mike had no idea what he was pouring. This made it as close to blind as I could make it.
So the regions assigned (not all regions were assigned for this event) were:
1. NY beers
2. US microbreweries
3. Ireland and the U.K
4. Belgium
5. Germany
6. Eastern Europe and Russia
7. Oktoberfest specialties
I also threw in a few choice brews for fun. These were Michelob Ultra as the representative light beer, Kaliber from the Guinness brewing company for the non-alcoholic beer, and Budweiser Select as the generic bad beer. In addition to all this beer there was tons of food including 7 layer dip, lemon roasted chicken, pulled pork, and kielbasa and sauerkraut (thanks Yilin!). The drinking begin at 1pm and thankfully the weather help up (even though Mike and Josh rigged up a great tarp roof system). Thank goodness for the backyard because getting beer sloshed around was not a problem. We also had this bucket for unwanted beer ( i know, it's shameful) and to rinse our glasses out in between beers.
The beers were ranked on a scale of 1-5 for the following categories:
1. Smell
2. Bitterness
3. Depth
4. Clean
5. Smoothness
6. Finish
The total was calculated and the top 3 favorite beers were:
Tied for first were Brooklyn Brown Ale and Boulder Beer Company Hazed and Infused
Third-New Castle
The Least favorites were:
1. Michelob Ultra
2. Budwieser Select
This is interesting because this means these beers were way grosser than the non-alcoholic Kaliber. There was also beer trivia and the winning team won a pair of googly eye beer glasses. ( I kept a pair for myself because as moderator I could not partake. [And they are so fantastic. Mike almost bust a gut when he looked up at me after doing push ups. His comment was, "This is why I married you." Interesting....])
Highlights included Josh and the bucket, everyone being slightly buzzed/drunk for 6 hours, cartwheels and headstands in CP, and the 4 mile walk after the party in CP. The party was awesome and we will definitely be hosting another one next year.
Today I felt all slow and out of it as did many others attendants. Obviously we are getting old. But I like to think it's just because we are out of practice.
Pics.
UPDATE: Videos representing general partiness and CP silliness
So the regions assigned (not all regions were assigned for this event) were:
1. NY beers
2. US microbreweries
3. Ireland and the U.K
4. Belgium
5. Germany
6. Eastern Europe and Russia
7. Oktoberfest specialties
I also threw in a few choice brews for fun. These were Michelob Ultra as the representative light beer, Kaliber from the Guinness brewing company for the non-alcoholic beer, and Budweiser Select as the generic bad beer. In addition to all this beer there was tons of food including 7 layer dip, lemon roasted chicken, pulled pork, and kielbasa and sauerkraut (thanks Yilin!). The drinking begin at 1pm and thankfully the weather help up (even though Mike and Josh rigged up a great tarp roof system). Thank goodness for the backyard because getting beer sloshed around was not a problem. We also had this bucket for unwanted beer ( i know, it's shameful) and to rinse our glasses out in between beers.
The beers were ranked on a scale of 1-5 for the following categories:
1. Smell
2. Bitterness
3. Depth
4. Clean
5. Smoothness
6. Finish
The total was calculated and the top 3 favorite beers were:
Tied for first were Brooklyn Brown Ale and Boulder Beer Company Hazed and Infused
Third-New Castle
The Least favorites were:
1. Michelob Ultra
2. Budwieser Select
This is interesting because this means these beers were way grosser than the non-alcoholic Kaliber. There was also beer trivia and the winning team won a pair of googly eye beer glasses. ( I kept a pair for myself because as moderator I could not partake. [And they are so fantastic. Mike almost bust a gut when he looked up at me after doing push ups. His comment was, "This is why I married you." Interesting....])
Highlights included Josh and the bucket, everyone being slightly buzzed/drunk for 6 hours, cartwheels and headstands in CP, and the 4 mile walk after the party in CP. The party was awesome and we will definitely be hosting another one next year.
Today I felt all slow and out of it as did many others attendants. Obviously we are getting old. But I like to think it's just because we are out of practice.
Pics.
UPDATE: Videos representing general partiness and CP silliness

8 Comments:
googly googly googly eyes! Yes, we'll definitely do this again next year.
By
Michael Halas, At
1:52 PM
double blind wine tasting in paris!
By
paducci, At
3:28 PM
Oh man. I can't wait to graduate and take a vacation in Paris.
If we have enough people we definitely have to do a wine tasting. Or just you and me...and the rushing sound of the Seine.
By
hkim, At
3:31 PM
Oh man. Wine "tasting" on the Seine is the way to go. Vijay and I did that. And you'll never beat out experience, unless, that is, you bleed.
Remember to throw your wine bottles into the Seine. This is absolutely necessary, for reasons I cannot recall.
As for the beer tasting--next year you have got to come up with some better rating system. Those ratings meant NOTHING to me. I could give each beer a single 1 to 5 rating, but when you broke it up into categories, I just was lost. But then I am not a beer drinker so they all more or less taste the same to me, especially when drunk in small quantities and in rapid succession.
By
dan, At
8:22 PM
Dan, the rating system was great. We'll have to get you special idot directions :)
By
Michael Halas, At
9:14 PM
The tarp made us look all green!
By
Michael Halas, At
2:06 PM
Yes... I would very much appreciate idot directions. muahahahahah.
By
dan, At
9:44 AM
it was a good time. thanks for hosting, and i look forward to next year!
By
josh, At
1:15 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home