The never ending flight of stairs to nowhere
In order to train for the MA AT (90 miles in 7 days of hiking with one off day in Dalton, MA), I decided to do several things. The first and most important factor was strength training my legs for the weight of the pack as well as endurance (lots of uphill hiking). My legs are really strong now, but I am concerned about the total impact my legs will take in the course of 7 days. I began my training last night by going on the gauntlet for 30min at level 9-11 for 30min with a hiking pack. Inside my hiking pack was a very large but useless biochemistry textbook, my shampoo and conditioner, a stack of scientific papers (which I carry everywhere but do not read) and various other items. The pack I think weighed 15lbs at most and so it isn't really close to my actual pack weight (but I will work up to that).
After 30mins., I ran on the treadmill with my pack for 0.5mile at 11min pace.
I had some people look at me strangely. The lady next to me asked me what I was training for and I told her, "The Miss America pageant...(pause) Just kidding. It's for a long hike." She didn't say anything after that. I think she might have been weirded out by me.
The next stage is to increase my time and weight on the gauntlet. My Thursday gym class incorporates a ton of squats, lunges and push ups (which I also do on other days though not to the extent of this class). I do all the leg stuff with weights and so I think I am covered in that arena. The other idea I have is to go to a studio cycling class at least once a week and try not to die in this class. The instructor is really cute... so that's incentive.
If anyone has any ideas or advice, I would appreciate it.
After 30mins., I ran on the treadmill with my pack for 0.5mile at 11min pace.
I had some people look at me strangely. The lady next to me asked me what I was training for and I told her, "The Miss America pageant...(pause) Just kidding. It's for a long hike." She didn't say anything after that. I think she might have been weirded out by me.
The next stage is to increase my time and weight on the gauntlet. My Thursday gym class incorporates a ton of squats, lunges and push ups (which I also do on other days though not to the extent of this class). I do all the leg stuff with weights and so I think I am covered in that arena. The other idea I have is to go to a studio cycling class at least once a week and try not to die in this class. The instructor is really cute... so that's incentive.
If anyone has any ideas or advice, I would appreciate it.

4 Comments:
I have advice. Get help. You lot are progressively entrenching yourselves in severe weirdness. There is a highways system labelled normality. Off of it are byways and local roads, an infinite web, and these are called niche living, weirdness that is good and bad. It is where albinos lives, and militant vegans, monks that can light themselves on fire, pedophiles, and people who dream of doing nothing but peeling potatoes all day long with their feet. You are driving deep into these areas, and you sound like you're about to tear up the map that'll lead you back.
By
dan, At
4:56 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
By
dan, At
4:57 PM
(Of course, also driving round these parts are people who quit good jobs and live at home past the age where they ought to, and who have more conversations with themselves than with other people.)
By
dan, At
4:58 PM
I want to learn how to peel a potato with my feet! Looks like I'm heading in the right direction.
By
hkim, At
12:07 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home