Sound of Silence
Have you ever had one of those mornings where everything seems eerie? I left the apt. this morning and immediately I felt something was off. I stopped into Starbucks on the corner and it was virtually empty. This is NEVER the case. I looked around skeptically (is someone dead on the floor, is the coffee being poisoned...) and ordered my coffee. While walking to work, the usual sound of children yapping on the way to school was absent. In fact, there weren't may people out. Is it a holiday? It reminded me of two things:
1. The beginning of the film 28 Days Later (stupid activists) where there isn't a single individual in all of the streets of London.
2. My 5 day experience in St. Louis , MO (Which was a lot like the beginning of 28 Days Later and didn't get any better the whole time I was there.)
I get to the lobby of my building and there isn't anyone around. No delivery person, no one at the coffee cart. I get to lab and it's so quiet. Now it's starting to creep me out. But then I thought, "Hey! Maybe everyone vaporized and now I don't have to go to work anymore or finish my thesis!" I start dancing and a few minutes later people start showing up. So I put on my headphones, crank up Wilco and head to the microscope room to "look at slides" but in actuality, to sit there and drink my coffee while hoping that they announce I don't have to be here anymore. Hmm...I like lunch...maybe I will stick around for lunch.
1. The beginning of the film 28 Days Later (stupid activists) where there isn't a single individual in all of the streets of London.
2. My 5 day experience in St. Louis , MO (Which was a lot like the beginning of 28 Days Later and didn't get any better the whole time I was there.)
I get to the lobby of my building and there isn't anyone around. No delivery person, no one at the coffee cart. I get to lab and it's so quiet. Now it's starting to creep me out. But then I thought, "Hey! Maybe everyone vaporized and now I don't have to go to work anymore or finish my thesis!" I start dancing and a few minutes later people start showing up. So I put on my headphones, crank up Wilco and head to the microscope room to "look at slides" but in actuality, to sit there and drink my coffee while hoping that they announce I don't have to be here anymore. Hmm...I like lunch...maybe I will stick around for lunch.

3 Comments:
March 6 is National Frozen Food Day
By
Michael Halas, At
11:37 AM
parce que aujourd'hui est lundi.
By
paducci, At
1:01 PM
perchance you were being avoided because you were burping up lactose intolerance.
By
dan, At
7:59 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home