Random Musing and Adventures

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Wake up

What great weather. It's been a busy week so I haven't been as good about hitting the gym as I usually am. So I decided to meet with Katie this morning for a run. It felt great to run 3 miles and since it put me in a good mood, I took my time getting ready for work. When I finally left, I turned up my iPod and walk to the Starbucks on the corner. They were making a fresh brew so a bunch of us were waiting for our orders. I'm standing there, singing to myself and kind of bopping my head. There are these two guys (one Asian, one Caucasian) standing next to me and looking over at me. Finally the Asian guy asks me a question, but because my iPod was turned up (and I was not paying attention) I don't hear and so he taps my shoulder. As I take out my ear buds, I hear him say, "Do you know what time it is?" I look and he has a cell phone and a watch as does his friend. I take this as a sign that he just wanted to start a conversation. But we are interrupted by the look of disgust on his face when he realizes that Hilary Duff is blasting out of my ear buds. He says "nevermind" very quickly and turns to his friend.

I got dissed for listening to a Hilary Duff song. In that split second, part of me wanted to shout, "I have lots of indie rock too...jazz, classical, I love Stan Getz! Don't judge me! I like this song when I am at the gym! And yes, I know it's a bad song." A little girl, about 9, also hears the music and says, "Lizzie McGuire!" Oh man....Instead of trying to redeem myself, I put in my headphones and continue to sing.

I grab my coffee and walk out. The guys walk out behind me and while going down Fort Washington, I start thinking:

Whatever. That's mean of him to judge me and my personality based on this song. It's on SHUFFLE. [At this point, George Michael 'Freedom' comes on.] Whatever. I love this song.

Then I walk right into the elevator station for the A train at 175th. RIGHT INTO IT. Coffee all over my hand. The guys behind me laugh. Hmph. I shake the coffee off and continue to walk, swaying and singing to George Michael. (Blonde Redhead came on next.)

Hey, everyone has guilty pleasures. Mine just happens to be bad songs I can dance to and watching Dawson's Creek occasionally in the morning before work. Don't judge them.

3 Comments:

  • Could it have been these two gentlement saw shiny piece of jewelry on your ring finger and then lost interest in your Duff-ness?

    By Blogger paducci, At 7:15 PM  

  • I didn't even think of that...

    Still, I'm sure Hilary Duff isn't taken as a check plus on anyone's (over the age of 18) list. Mike had to shake his head in disappointment when I was playing this song and dancing around the apt.

    THis post is making me think of DUFF BEER.
    Duff beer for you, Duff beer for me, I have a Duff, you have one too...

    By Blogger hkim, At 11:26 AM  

  • why would they even recognize the song? check minus for them.

    By Blogger dan, At 9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home