Tonight, Mike is king of his domain
Because I have to go to do a sleep study tonight. No, not like the one I did last time (I don't get paid for this one.) but for...health reasons. I am a terrible sleeper. I have stints of insomnia and am an incredibly light sleeper. I also grind my teeth and usually have terrible dreams. In summary, I do not sleep well. As a result, I am tired most of the time and as my doctor said, "are most probably functioning in a constant impaired state." That's really sad because I think I am pretty quick on my feet, but imagine the possibilities if I were not impaired. I could probably solve all the world's major issues. (But really, I think my head would explode and I would die.)
So in an effort to solve my personal sleep and health problems, (This recent interest in my mental health was spurred by Mike and perhaps his dislike for my regular migraines and subsequent poor social morale. And I think he was worried I might have a tumor.) I went to see someone at the Headache Center. Such a thing does exist. I was given some advice (apparently, it helps an individual to sometimes photosynthesize....) and preliminary diagnosed with several...conditions. One was sleep apnia and this is why I have to go to the sleep lab. Sleep Apnia?! So tonight I get my head probed with electrodes and am observed while sleeping. I hope I don't pick my nose or something while sleeping. That would be embarrassing.
Off I go to the sleep lab. To keep myself entertained until I actually fall asleep, my plan is to finish sewing water holders on Mike's hiking pack.
So in an effort to solve my personal sleep and health problems, (This recent interest in my mental health was spurred by Mike and perhaps his dislike for my regular migraines and subsequent poor social morale. And I think he was worried I might have a tumor.) I went to see someone at the Headache Center. Such a thing does exist. I was given some advice (apparently, it helps an individual to sometimes photosynthesize....) and preliminary diagnosed with several...conditions. One was sleep apnia and this is why I have to go to the sleep lab. Sleep Apnia?! So tonight I get my head probed with electrodes and am observed while sleeping. I hope I don't pick my nose or something while sleeping. That would be embarrassing.
Off I go to the sleep lab. To keep myself entertained until I actually fall asleep, my plan is to finish sewing water holders on Mike's hiking pack.

8 Comments:
For the record, I was not concerned about a tumor.
"It might be a tumor.
It's not a tuuumor!"
5 points... anyone?
My backpack, very nice. Thank you.
By
Michael Halas, At
6:49 PM
a) it's only embarassing if you pick your nose and then eat it
b) if you really are impaired now, does that mean you'll walk 45 mph when you're not?
c) write more about this. i want to go to a sleep specialist so s/he can tell me how i can start falling asleep on my back. i can only fall asleep on my stomach and it's a pain. literally, it hurts my neck sometimes. :)
d) have fun.
By
dan, At
8:50 PM
on the walk home this image popped into my head of you lying on a cold table with electrodes hooked up to you and the doctors examining an MRI of your brain behind a one-way mirror. when they hold the MRI up to the light, they can just make out the word "RATS" in your right lobe. ha!
By
Katie, At
11:24 PM
Dan, I did not pick my nose and I suppose I would walk faster if not in an impaired state. HOwever, I currently do not walk fast...you just happen to be too slow.
The study was interesting. I barely slept, as usual. They record everything; heart rate, oxygen levels, brain waves, facial muscle activity, leg activity, respitatory everything.
I still have a ton of that glue that they use to attatch the electrodes still in my hair despite having washed it twice this morning. It looks like I have dandruff.
Katie, they were really confused by the RATS in my brain. I may be written up in JAMA.
By
hkim, At
10:47 AM
pepople, back me up: she walks fast. abnormally fast.
whatever speed *I* walk at is the right speed.
By
dan, At
12:05 PM
Mike, come on! Kindergarten Cop.
This from a man who can never guess quotes from Ghostbuster.
One side of the pack is pretty much done. If you're nice, I'll do the other side.
By
hkim, At
12:09 PM
what is this business with water holders? it takes me awhile to get to sleep, but once asleep, its allll good.
people watching you sleep. thats weird.
By
paducci, At
5:21 PM
Vijay, soon you will be behold the beauty of the water holders (pouches) and marvel at my sewing skills.
I knew it was only a matter of time before I could design pouches. Soon I will find a design for my own multi-functional pouch so I can be more marsupial-esq.
Not just watching, Vijay, DOCUMENTING. My sleep patterns have documented for generations of scientists to enjoy.
By
hkim, At
7:14 AM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home