"Seduced by Snacks? No not You"
But I am...ALL THE TIME. Put a bottomless bowl of, well, most foods, and you will find me stuffed silly. Until I can barely breathe. Apparently I am not alone which isn't shocking, but this article in this weeks NYTimes was interesting. I would really like to partake in such a study because it involves free food and watching cartoons. I liked how Dr. Wansink prefers graduate student and office workers but doesn't like undergrads because, "with the guys nothing makes sense because they all eat like animals." From this (and personal experience as a grad student) I can extrapolate that grad students are a good population because they are older and hence do not eat with the obscene wantonness as they did once in their youth and because they are poor/cheap, they will eat ChexMix until they are full. I guess the subjects he gets at Cornell University are a bit more mature in the self control department because most people I know here at Columbia still eat like the undesired undergraduates. Maybe it's because our NYC rents are so high that we can't afford to eat regularly and therefore exhibit free food mania. Or maybe I sought after friends/colleagues who are gluttons like myself which skews my perception of the average graduate student.
Anyway, the article was a good read. Read it. I'm off to a science weekend where large quantities of adult drinks will be consumed (but not snacks-these are not as widely available).
Anyway, the article was a good read. Read it. I'm off to a science weekend where large quantities of adult drinks will be consumed (but not snacks-these are not as widely available).

1 Comments:
I read this article! Just today I was telling Haesun what I read in this article, that people who exercise go one to overeat, because they feel they've earned it, or something. And then she told me all about how many cookies she ate after running a half marathon.
And then we were accosted by prostelityzing Korean Christian cultists. Which was fun!
By
dan, At
1:32 AM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home