Random Musing and Adventures

Friday, February 02, 2007

Not much to see at this Vista.

Wednesday night my laptop of almost 6 years and I broke up. He had seen better days and I had really pushed him to his limit which caused him to leave me. And to top it all off, he took the hard drive and all the files on it with him. It was rough. Thankfully, I had a backed up the contents so in reality, I didn't need anything from him anyway. (Except all the Radiohead albums I ripped.)

I was so upset. My Thinkpad R30. It had seen me through almost ALL of grad school. It made me realize several things. First, how dependent I am on computers. Second, that I am getting old and set in my ways. I don't want a new computer. I want this computer. Just fix it. (This is what I told the IT guy who then told me that my computer is ancient and beyond help.) No new bells and whistles. I don't have time to learn a new OS. I want THIS computer. No stupid touch pads. I want my trackpoint. Third, I don't have time to learn a whole new computer and start a relationship over again. In two and a half months, I have to write two papers, my thesis and a grant. He really left me high and dry.

But life isn't fair and sparkling fairies with "fix-it" magic dust don't exist (well, supposedly) and so I bought a laptop with Vista. Vista. After spending a good amount of time trying Vista out, Mike and I decided it stinks. I mean it has some nice features but really, as much as it bothers me to say (because I have Mac pushers as friends), they ripped the new cool features from Apple and the others ones (particularly the really crappy and useless Connectivity Doctor) stink. It's an overly bloated program that shouldn't have taken 5 years to release and really should have been a service pack or an update for XP. Oh yeah, and it's really, really, really ugly.

Overall, I was seriously disappointed at Microsoft and have to say that it makes me think what a waste their 5 years developing this poor excuse of a new and "innovative" OS has been. Really, they hire the top CS/CE people and this is what they make? In my head, they get these fancy jobs and because competition really isn't an issue for most of their products, they sit around and play fooseball. And occassionally when they have project development meetings, they come up with things like, "let's copy Apple's OS and add other things that really don't do anything but require 512MB just to run the OS. That sounds fancy and important." I can't remember the last really creative and great product they made.

Other than that, my laptop is nice. It's big. I rather have my Thinkpad with a trackpoint back.

10 Comments:

  • I'm not sure OS X is so lean and mean. I think there's a reason macs all come with so much memory. My fancy schmancy mac is kinda slow an oddly large amount of the time.

    It is very pretty, though.

    XP was a pretty good OS. I know nothing of this Vista. I say humbug to it all.

    By Blogger dan, At 8:30 PM  

  • I don't think OS X is great either, but many years of development for a new Windows OS ?! It's not terrible and I will get use to it. It's just...disappointing. I thought XP was really good.

    By Blogger hkim, At 11:42 PM  

  • linux.

    By Blogger josh, At 12:15 PM  

  • Linux YOUR FACE.

    By Blogger dan, At 5:49 PM  

  • (sorry couldn't help myself)

    By Blogger dan, At 5:49 PM  

  • they are all computers and will do what you want them to.

    my next vista, tho, will be the kind you hike to. perhaps when you guys get here!

    By Blogger paducci, At 2:29 PM  

  • My name is Vijay and I sure am clever. My name is Vijay, but I don't wear v-necks.

    Your face is a MA-AT vista.

    By Blogger hkim, At 10:23 PM  

  • hyunmi, that is a very flattering compliment you paid vijay. the massachusetts AT is my favorite part.

    By Blogger josh, At 9:15 AM  

  • The MA AT stank. STINKS. STANK.

    You have to understand that it was during an unusual heat wave when we hiked, gypsy moth metamorposis time, and the largest mosquito convention ever. Oh and it was boggy from all the rain the week before.

    It stank. So much that we hiked it in 5 days.

    By Blogger hkim, At 6:14 PM  

  • ...how about that mountain dew??

    By Blogger paducci, At 11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home