Random Musing and Adventures

Sunday, August 05, 2007

13 miles for everyone.

This weekend was all about running. On Saturday, Mike had to go on a 13-14mile run as part of his marathon training. Aside from the fact that no one likes having to do long training runs, it was a high of 95F with 60% humidity. Oh yeah, and it was a sunny day. So I offered to keep him company as I had done last week, by riding my bike along with him as he did his loops in Central Park. I carried with me several bottles of Gatorade and a spray bottle. I would pass him the Gatorade when he asked and so there was no unnecessary stopping nor did he have to carry any water. I would also mist him with water when I deemed it necessary and several times upon request. This was my favorite part. I felt like I was playing with a cat. Mike said that our scenario was very reminiscent of the training in Nintendo's Mike Tyson's Punchout.

Granted, people probably thought we were totally weird- me on a bike, misting Mike as he was running slowly in the heat. I think the observers thought we were one of those people who go all out and buy all this crazy technical gear (fuel belts, expensive clothes, shoes etc) when they are about to run a 5k at 15min/mile pace. All in all, it was really fun and it really helped Mike to actually run 13.7 miles in the horrible, terrible no good heat. I think I will do this for Mike and Katie as they go on their long runs.

Today was the NYC half-marathon. The entry was lottery based and so while I got in (as did Katie and several others), Mike did not. Therefore he was part of the cheering team. Thankfully the weather cooled down to a lovely 70F by 7am when the race started with 61% humidity. Amazing. I was really worried about the heat since I don't take heat well in general and am even worse when made to exercise. I was also a bit nervous because I hadn't really trained. I mean, I ran a good amount, but never really did long runs- and those that I did do were about a month ago.

Last year I ran it at 9min/mile pace and so I was hoping to at least make the same time if not 8:50min/mile. The course is so much fun-music, people cheering, running through Times Sq like you own the city. Even the winner, Haile Gebrselassie (who ran it in 59min and 24sec!) said that to run through NYC like it's just for you is an amazing thing and, I think, is what makes this race so unique. I was born in this city, I live in this city and I certainly run in it. Surprisingly, I felt very comfortable on the run and kept telling myself to stay comfortable as to prevent injury (with RTB coming up, the last thing I need is to be injured). The first 7 miles in the park went quickly, except for a bathroom stop at mile 3, which means I have become accustomed to the hills. The run through Times Sq. was amazing and the last three miles down West Side Highway were pretty bad-not because of pain, but because it's totally flat and somewhat boring. I also drank some brownish water at the fluid station, which I think is the primary suspect for the stomache issues I had later after the run.

As my legs tired out at mile 11.5 or so, I willed myself not to slow down which I gauged with my heart rate monitor. I saw Mike, Sam and Maggie on the course cheering me on and that propelled me to the finish- at 8:44min/mile pace! Way better than I was expecting. I met up with Mike and the others and found Katie at our meeting spot. She ran an amazing time of 7:35min/mile pace! I was so happy to be done and strangely enough, I have not been sore at all. It's been over 6 hours and nothing is sore-which means I didn't push myself hard enough, but I'm ok with that.

I treated myself to a new sundress for all my effort and made a pasta with mint and basil (both from our garden!) and sausage dinner. The best part of all of this...I get to have several beers. Awesome. Oh yeah, and this confirmed my I-will-not-run-a-marathon mantra as they are too long (both in distance and training).

Run on!

10 Comments:

  • Wow! You found the Tyson picture, awesome! Yes, the bike training was so funny and sooo ridiculous looking. Yet, was so fun and helpful. More mist more mist! It is definitely the way to do a long run in the heat :)

    Congrats again on your triumphant bash through NYC!

    By Blogger Michael Halas, At 6:26 PM  

  • oh, or I guess the other option is to NOT start the run a few minutes before noon.

    Nahhh

    By Blogger Michael Halas, At 6:28 PM  

  • a) congratulations!

    b) I think the soreness is supposed to kick in, like, overnight. then you wake up the next morning, get out of bed, fall on your face, and realize: your legs are still in the bed and have totally detached from your torso.

    c) "I also drank some brownish water at the fluid station, which I think is the primary suspect for the stomache issues I had later." -- brown water? stomach issues? no way.

    By Blogger dan, At 9:02 PM  

  • If you renew your wedding vows you'll have to add the misting your husband part.

    By Blogger luvulongtime, At 6:36 AM  

  • Yes, yes, thank you Mike.

    Dan- I said the exact same thing (practically verbatim!)to Mike regarding leg detatchmentj the next morning. But this morning my legs came out of bed with me (they are really tired and my one bad ankle hurts a bit). Not sore.

    I didn't notice the brown water until after I drank it...hazards of running a race. Mike thinks a homeless person may have done bad things to the water.

    Sherie- Vows! I think it may be necessary to add in the misting...
    through misting and health...haha.

    By Blogger hkim, At 7:58 AM  

  • ...i would've rather hiked 20 miles for three straight days in that unbearable heat.

    just kidding. altho i do fancy a december hike!

    you own that blip on a map they call nyc, good job!

    By Blogger paducci, At 11:55 AM  

  • I love your description of riding the bike and misting Mike and the tyson pic too. Soooo funny!

    By Blogger Colleen, At 12:21 PM  

  • You should have kept playing your Mike Tyson's Punchout ringer as you were riding alongside Mike.

    By Blogger vimal, At 1:42 PM  

  • I got out of bed and was really sore this morning. It was probably a combination of the race and getting trashed last night, which I'm sure hindered my recovery. No matter, it felt good to drink. Good job Hyunmi! I hope we make it in again next year. Also, I'm very much looking forward to your accompaniment on our long runs.

    By Blogger Katie, At 7:09 PM  

  • congrats hyunmi! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home