Random Musing and Adventures

Sunday, March 18, 2007

On the side.

Busy doesn't come close to describing the past three (four?) weeks and the next three (four?) weeks ahead. As a recap, Leah and Hisham are now venerable PhDs and both the grant and the paper (not quite) are done. I am writing my thesis with a potential date for the end of April. Whew.

While these events warrant blogs of their own, I am both too tired and overwhelmed when I think of these things to write about them, so I will write about my most recent debate. Last night, Mike and I went out after working for most of the day. The idea was to get a beer and I wanted to get a snack. We walked around the murky and wet streets of the UWS and saw (to my foolish surprise) that every bar was PACKED. To the doors. So we stopped in for a slice of pizza and continued walking. So this is when the debate started. I will pose the question first.

Does a quarter of a chicken (on its own-maybe with a TINY thing of slaw) qualify as meal or a side?

Here is the scenario.

We walk into the Chirping Chicken (their food is so good) and I tell Mike that I think I will just get a side. After looking at the menu, I decide and walk up to the register. "One quarter chicken (which comes with one of those small things of cole slaw)." Mike immediately starts laughing and tells me that a quarter chicken is not a side. Well, maybe for someone with a tiny stomach, but really, a quarter chicken, especially if you don't get anything else with it, is SO SMALL. In the end, it turn out the chicken came with some pita, slaw and a bottle of water (for 4.50!).

Now, I didn't order the pita (and didn't eat it either...I don't waste my time with bread when there is delicious chicken) and the slaw was really small- a sample really. So in my opinion, the quarter chicken with it's sampling of slaw, really constitutes a side. Maybe even a small snack (but still more like a side). But a meal? Certainly not! It's more like a side. It's so small that it could accompany my hamburger or my plate of pasta, making it a side. I mean, who eats a quarter chicken as a meal? If it comes with lots of veggies, a salad and potatoes or something else, then sure. But an order of just a quarter chicken is equivalent to that of a side. Even if it wasn't listed on the side section of the menu. Mike thought there was something seriously wrong with me.

What do you think? Josh has my back so watch what you say.

13 Comments:

  • 1. I agree that it was not quite a "meal." But 1/4 chicken is not a side. I deem it a snack. Or possible even a "quick small meal."

    2. I still don't understand why we are arguing about this.

    3. Josh has your back? Tsss, THIS IS SPARTA! Ok, I'm not really sure where I'm going with that one. But, I think I can out run him - hopefully with a bit of a head start as his intial burst spead probably still outdoes mine.

    4. Next time I'm there I'm going to ask: "can I have a side of 'a quarter of a chicken'." I'll bet they'll be confused.

    By Blogger Michael Halas, At 5:33 PM  

  • "Quick small meal?" That's the best you can come up with? What does that even mean? A quater chicken isn't like gyro sandwhich which is an example of a "quick small meal."

    Maybe you can out run Josh, but I bet he will get you with a spear.

    Go ahead and order it that way. I bet they will think it is such a brillant idea that they will switch it to the "sides" part of the menu.

    By Blogger hkim, At 5:38 PM  

  • Oddly, I'm coming around to your "side" of the argument.

    That's right - I made a really bad joke.

    By Blogger Michael Halas, At 5:42 PM  

  • "I'll have the double burger with a side of a quarter of a chicken"

    Hmmm... that does sound very appealing.

    By Blogger Michael Halas, At 5:46 PM  

  • See! What a great way to round out a MEAL.

    By Blogger hkim, At 5:47 PM  

  • aren't sides usually mashes potatoes, apple sauce, green beans, or veggies?

    that burger with a side of chicken sounds awesome.

    By Blogger paducci, At 9:48 PM  

  • i agree it's a side... like that could be "ban chan". I would eat 1/4 chicken as ban chan with rice.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 3:53 PM  

  • side dishes don't come with side dishes. your dish came with a side. your dish was not a side.

    I have to admit I don't know what a quarter chicken looks like because I only eat whole chickens, usually four at a time.

    You should perpetuate this argument for years.

    By Blogger dan, At 8:48 PM  

  • It IS like a ban chan! Genius.
    Dan, a quarter chicken is like the size of my hand. And just as thin (at least in my opinion).

    Dan,
    Like I said, the "side" was a SAMPLING. Somethine that small doesn't count as a side of anything. (perpetuating...)

    By Blogger hkim, At 9:51 PM  

  • A quarter-chicken is, without doubt, a side dish. Walk in to El Malecon and order a quarter-chicken. First, you will get a look of utter confusion from your server, who will start to proclaim that "You can't order only one quarter of a chicken; only a half chicken or whole chicken." Secondly, your server might feign remembrance that a quarter-chicken is listed in the "Side Dishes" section of their menu. (Actually, it is under "Pollo", but their is no "Side Dishes" section, so they might say so only to placate you.) Thirdly, your server will ask you if you want an entree with your side of quarter-chicken.

    If El Malecon's definition of a quarter-chicken isn't good enough for you (and it should be, as they are "El Rey de Pollo"), then consider this:

    A quarter-chicken is the equivalent to a wing or thigh plus half of a breast. Theoretically trade that half of a breast for a generous 2 thighs or 3 wings. Do you consider 3 chicken thighs or 4 wings an entree? Last time you went out for beer and wings, did you have 4 wings and said, "That entree of 4 buffalo wings was good. I think I'd like a side dish." Of course not. You ate a dozen buffalo wings as an appetizer and then got a bacon cheeseburger.

    Lastly, one could argue that Hyunmi's quarter-chicken, mouthful of cole slaw, single piece of pita bread, and bottle of water was in fact a small meal. Small meal. However, this type of meal, composed entirely of side dishes, can exist without one particular dish being forcefully designated "entree".

    Chinese dim sum is an example. "Dim sum" translates roughly into "snack". When you eat dim sum, do you have one or two plates and leave? No, you eat 7 plates and walk out ready to explode. Which was your entree? None of them, yet all of them. Plus, you ate dim sum at a meal time and as a meal, and not between meals as a snack, despite the translation.

    Lastly, what's the difference between a snack at lunch time or a side dish between meals?

    Wow, who knew I would feel so strongly about this...

    Mike, I have no wish to harm you, at this moment. Rather, as you run away, I will sit down and eat your quarter-chicken. :)

    By Blogger josh, At 10:51 AM  

  • I repeat: Josh has my back.

    By Blogger hkim, At 9:30 PM  

  • If your back a side dish?

    By Blogger dan, At 8:02 PM  

  • 1/4 chicken is a "light" snack or perhaps an appetizer. Jake Blues (Elwood's brother) would order two whole chickens.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home