Suprises.
There were two main surprises of the day. The first was this morning when I got on what appeared to be the C train this morning. But when I got into the totally empty car, I looked around and noticed the signs inside the train said B. Not just any B, but a B in an orange diamond. I was so confused. I hadn't seen one of these trains for a long time (it means it only makes rush hour stops) and besides, the outside sign said C. So I walked through to the next car where two people are sitting. Now I'm really confused and I am convinced I have just entered the Twilight Zone because the sign in this car says, 1 train. ?! At this point, I am a little freaked out (and the fact that train didn't stop at the next stop...where is this train going?) so I ask the woman closest to me what train this is and she starts shouting about my soul being saved by her friend (and mine, she tells me, if I should choose [choose wisely...]) Jesus Christ. She won't stop shouting, so I walk over to the next person. She is equally confused because she thought it was the C train. Then the announcer gets on and says, "This is the C train, making all local stops to the Bronx." The C train doesn't go to the Bronx. Because this mystery was beyond my solving abilities, I got off at 125th and waited for the A. Unfortunately, it was a strong fish fryer smell day on the platform (the smell originates from the McDonald's fryer up at the street level) which making me slightly gag. But I did finally get to lab.
The other surprise was when Mike told me he didn't have class and would be making me dinner. Eggplant parmigiana. Yum. I have to say I had all sorts of reservations (not about the quality of the food, but the mess) but everything was fantastic! Clean kitchen, delicious food...he should do this more often. It was great.
I think I am going to finally make coconut macaroons this week.
The other surprise was when Mike told me he didn't have class and would be making me dinner. Eggplant parmigiana. Yum. I have to say I had all sorts of reservations (not about the quality of the food, but the mess) but everything was fantastic! Clean kitchen, delicious food...he should do this more often. It was great.
I think I am going to finally make coconut macaroons this week.

14 Comments:
look at all the fun and excitement mike misses by not taking the subway.
i think the word "surprise" grossly understates what my brain's reaction would be to mike cooking dinner and cleaning the kitchen. i envision my state of mind would be akin to neo's upon waking up from the matrix. :)
By
josh, At
10:13 AM
you really ruined this post for me with mention of macaroons.
i have a story about macaroons and vomiting i might have told you once. here it is, a very summed up version:
once I was little I ate a lot of macaroons and then I vomited a lot and since then I've hated coconut and macaroons.
that's it. thanks man.
(the gratuitous indy reference was nice, tho)
By
dan, At
12:43 PM
the indy reference was nice. i love macaroons and coconut. while the new york metro is far superior, it has its weird things that wouldn't happen here in paris. i guess cause paris is 1)not nyc 2) not skinny and long, and 3)much smaller, that all the trains always make all the stops and there aren't local/expresses, 1/9s, N/Rs, and such.
...find me a job in nyc
By
paducci, At
3:44 PM
You see, in France, they don't think its fair that some stops are always made, and some aren't.
By
vimal, At
4:41 PM
hmmm. i seemed to have missed the indiana jones reference. unless you are referring to the indianapolis 500, then i don't feel bad about missing anything.
dan, your story reminds me of katie's story about pepperoni. i am sure she will gladly tell you about it.
vijay, new york city is sprawling; it is only manhattan that is "long and skinny".
By
josh, At
4:51 PM
aaah, i just reread the post and all is clear: "where is this train going?" is the reference. i deserve a gold star.
By
josh, At
4:52 PM
"...but choose wisely, for the true grail..."
yes, how silly of me. not being a resident there one tends to forget about the other boroughs. i heard a 'joke' recently that Chicago is better than NY...one of the reasons being is that a random conversation with a New Yorker always starts with a the best subway route to get somewhere, then the conversation would turn into one about cell phone reception. As for what the Chicago person would talk about...that wasn't said.
By
paducci, At
12:43 AM
LEO
You're scared of Babish.
BARTLET
Oh, like you're not.
LEO
No, because we are both men of Chicago.
BARTLET
What is it with people from Chicago that they're so happy to have been born there?
I meet so many people who can't wait to tell me they're from Chicago, and when I
meet them, they're living anywhere but Chicago.
By
vimal, At
6:20 AM
Chicago is cool, Paris is better. NYC is...it's NYC. It's in a class of its own.
I have to say that there are several things about NYC I definitely don't like and like many aspects of other cities more. However, when taken as a whole, I think I rather have NYC. But there are two particular outcomes of growing up/living in the NYC (NYC area). One is that whenever you go to another city, you don't understand why things aren't always open, why there aren't a million options. The second thing is that after living and navigating in the bustle and hustle of NYC, I feel that living anywhere else will be a little slower (hence relaxed) and easy to adapt to. But that's because I like NYC and the mountains and not much in between.
Dan, my brother once at a one pounder bag of Skittles and immediately threw up a rainbow. But that is what little Ziggy-Piggies get (Katie with pepperoni and I with Pizza Hut).
By
hkim, At
9:00 AM
I cook dinner a lot. For example, last year I made jambalaya which required special rue skills. Last year I also made world-class-double-deluxe grade-A-champion-four-star Tuna melts. Clearly, three dinners in 18 months is a lot. I better slow down the pace or I might spoil Hyunmi.
Vijay, the 9 train was banished from the earth a very long time ago. Get your head in the game man!
Shaming Katie!? Sounds fun, here is a photo after her second most shameful moment: http://halas.us/michael/Adirondacks/9_2004/Day3/html/027_SHAME!.htm
By
Michael Halas, At
12:48 PM
I cook dinner a lot. For example, last year I made jambalaya which required special rue skills. Last year I also made world-class-double-deluxe grade-A-champion-four-star Tuna melts. Clearly, three dinners in 18 months is a lot. I better slow down the pace or I might spoil Hyunmi.
Vijay, the 9 train was banished from the earth a very long time ago. Get your head in the game man!
Shaming Katie!? Sounds fun, here is a photo after her second most shameful moment: http://halas.us/michael/Adirondacks/9_2004/Day3/html/027_SHAME!.htm
By
Michael Halas, At
12:48 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
By
Michael Halas, At
12:49 PM
It's roux Michael.
I don't think you new what you were doing. Especially when you asked me if it looked right and I said no, and that you should start over. You looked like you were going to punch me in the face.
Yes, shaming Katie. It is both fun and easy.
By
hkim, At
7:01 PM
It is true, the first roux did not really come out. However, my second roux was a roux for the ages. It has won awards all over the world.
From Roux Weekly: "Mike has really changed the world of roux. The great roux of yesteryear are crap compared with his second roux. Roux chefs beware, a new roux master has arrived."
By
Michael Halas, At
11:38 AM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home