Random Musing and Adventures

Saturday, April 21, 2007

I did it, I did it, I did it in a minute!

Ok, not in a minute. Almost 6 years. It took me almost 6 years, but I did it. Yesterday at 12 noon, I gave my thesis seminar (quite a long talk and I was mortified [and flattered] that all the seats were filled and people were standing in the back of the room) and then had a private 1.5 hour defense. It all went very well, and I was granted my Ph.D. - with distinction!

So how does this all feel? Very strange. My first reaction after being told that I was done was...well.."Oh man...I have a big experiment next week." I think I was too scared to think about the fact that I was done. All of a sudden, the routine I had been in for the past 3 weeks was different. I didn't have to make more slides or have horrible dreams about people dying at my defense because of the poisoned cupcakes with ham inside that I had distributed during my talk. But I am very...relieved and happy.

Of course then there was the party. The first was the departmental party with Mexican food, a personalized ice cream cake (my favorite!), and beer. My lab really went all out for me and Josh gave a wonderful speech. Thanks guys! Then there was the after party where family members, friends, and labmates came out to the West Side Brewery where Mike reserved the back room and supplied an endless stream of beer and food. It was the best way to celebrate the day.

So what's next? Lab. I'll be post-docing where I am now, so not much changes in the daily routine, but I have to say I am more excited about asking the new questions in my project than I ever was before. I guess it's nice to know that other people also think your work is both interesting and that I actually am a good scientist.

A representation of my way of celebrating-

Back off man. I'm a scientist.

8 Comments:

  • haha, awesome. felicitations! i wish i was there to celebrate with you and everyone else!

    By Blogger paducci, At 9:09 PM  

  • Mazal Tov! Wish I could've been there.

    Time for babies?

    By Blogger anna, At 10:38 PM  

  • Vijay-Thanks! I wished you could have been there too. You were missed very much, but our time together in Paris draws near.

    Anna- Babies? Didn't you know that I had 5 of them already? Haha. The only babies I am expecting in the near future are from my transgenic animals. Missed you too!

    By Blogger hkim, At 12:25 AM  

  • I 2nd that Mazel Tov, and I promise you a drink, in Paris, and a walk round town where I in uncouth-American-style yell, in English, yell out that you are a Scientist. I will do this just about anywhere but inside a place of worship.

    By Blogger dan, At 9:52 PM  

  • Dégages mec, je suis un scientifique.

    By Blogger paducci, At 8:20 AM  

  • Do you think "mec" is derrived from the English "mac" or "mack"? (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mac)

    By Blogger dan, At 11:38 AM  

  • CONGRATULATIONS again!! I'm so proud of you!! and it was so good to see you last friday! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:53 PM  

  • You rocked the house Hyunmi: both at the defense and at your parties.

    By Blogger josh, At 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home