Random Musing and Adventures

Friday, August 10, 2007

Hey you skinny vegetarian, step aside, I am a "real" women. I eat meat and I'm not afraid to show it.

SAF loves to eat, be outdoors and read. I am looking for someone to run with in CP, watch The Office, visit the AMNH, and to share the cote de beouf for two at Balthazar with a bottle of red (or martini!) or a Shack burger with a peanut butter concrete.

That's what my dating ad would look like and this article in NYT gave me high hopes that if I were single, I might be able to find someone who would apprecicate my love of beef (and food in general). Personal highlights in the article were the following tidbits-

In an earlier era, conventional dating wisdom for women was to eat something at home alone before a date, and then in company order a light dinner to portray oneself as dainty and ladylike. For some women, that is still the practice.

“Being a vegetarian puts you at a disadvantage,” Ms. Crosley said. “You’re in the most basic category of finicky. Even women who order chicken, it isn’t enough.” She said she has thought of ordering shots of Jägermeister, famous for its frat boy associations, to prove that she is “a guy’s girl.”

“When a guy sits down and eats something fatty and big, you wonder if they eat like that all the time,” said Brice Gaillard, a freelance design writer. “It crosses my mind they’ll probably die early.”

The first bit I find hysterical. That's the kind of thing that my mom suggests I do because she finds my appetite and love for food is a bit embarrassing- so much that she accuses me of eating more than my share of food therefore contributing to Mike's thinness. The second bit I find true from a personal perspective. I remember distinctly thinking that Mike's chicke-tarian business was a bit of a problem if we ever dated (and therefore I thought we would never date) because meat (let's face it-that means pork and beef) is a big part of my family and of Korean food. He didn't even do Jager shots to make up for it! The last bit is the best because it really shows the double standard to all of this.

Nonetheless, this article brought a little bit of warmth to my heart and made me really like that couple because anyone who knows the importance of Corner Bistro and Keens can only be good (both places are excellent!). Also I like the idea that...

"Red meat sent a message that she was “unpretentious and down to earth and unneurotic,” she said, “that I’m not obsessed with my weight even though I’m thin, and I don’t have any food issues.”

Because I'm definitely not neurotic. Definitely.

4 Comments:

  • "..because meat (let's face it-that means pork and beef)"

    I LOVE it! (Vimal, suck it!) I don't chow down a big plate of meat every meal and I actually love my veggies, but to not eat meat, that just stupid and unnatural. It’s like asking a leopard to not eat meat and making your baby vegan. And for those who think it’s preposterous to have vegetable sounding soup with chicken/beef stock in it, you are preposterous! With that logic, I think you shouldn’t mix your veggie with your tofu. You should just eat firm tofu with extra firm tofu. (I happen to love tofu as well, I just love to hate those who discriminate and make them really upset ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:15 PM  

  • Haha. This is too funny.
    Well said, Kashan!

    By Blogger hkim, At 1:29 PM  

  • Does Nathan's hot dogs qualify as meat?

    John H.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:04 PM  

  • OMG! Best post of the week. Meat eaters in LA are in hiding. While out I sometimes have to downplay that I want something rare and bloody but at some dinner parties I find the women eating bacon wrapped pork and the men are at the other side of the table with their vegan dishes. The men that venture on the meat side of the table have been skeevy. The skinny and underfed ones are usually cuter. - And of course Nathan's hot dogs count as meat. What kind of meat is the question.

    By Blogger luvulongtime, At 9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home