A home divided
Well, sort of. Recently, Mike decided he would buy a new laptop since his old Compaq was on its last legs. Valiant attempts were made to extend its life (after a manhandling episode by yours truly while Mike was in Spain and a dead battery). I had told him he could use my ThinkPad since I don't take it to school anymore, but it seemed that he rather be punched in the face than use my "piece of crap computer." (Yeah, well so what if the battery is dead, has only 256 RAM, and has never been able to use wireless...It works. [Well, after it has taken about 15minutes to boot up.]) So he resorted to buying a Macintosh. Now, don't get me wrong. I have used Macs many times before. I use to own one. A very old Powerbook in college (I was so fed up with ClarisWorks that I eventually bought a PC) and used a G4 my first two years in the lab.
I am not a PC crazed supporter. I own an iPod and love it. See?! I am not a complete anti-Macist. What does bother me is their ad campaigns. You know, the ones where the oafy Idiot Business Man (though I have to say, this is what my dad told me IBM acronym meant when I was young), who we will call PC, and the urban geek GenX chic dude, we will call Mac, banter (well, Mac banters while PC kind of huffs [and it looks like he might be a heavy breather!]). I hate these commercials. They irritate me because they really create this dichotomy where the blundering business buffoon is too corporate and Mac looks like he might have a vitamin D deficiency (get checked for Rickets!) but enlightens poor old PC. To be hip and cool is to buy a Mac, to be corporate and outdated is to buy a PC. That's what the message says and people buy it.
But obviously it is a functional marketing ploy. I apparently just don't like it and hence dislike their products meaning marketing does work (in the sense that it evokes strong feelings of association [or dissociation in this case- I also felt this way about Jettas]). I'm being bothered by marketing. SO silly, but every time I look over at his Mac, I can't help but think it looks anemic. To think in terms of food analogies, the Mac is a fresh mozzarella and herb panini while my ThinkPad is a generic burger. So slender and sophisticated, asthetic-gleaming like the heavens, compared to my big dark oafy ThinkPad. But you know what, I like cheap burgers (though my ThinkPad was anything but cheap, but you get the point). Plus you can get all kinds of toppings.
Oh, and my hands are always dirty and so I am afraid to soil the Mac.
I am not a PC crazed supporter. I own an iPod and love it. See?! I am not a complete anti-Macist. What does bother me is their ad campaigns. You know, the ones where the oafy Idiot Business Man (though I have to say, this is what my dad told me IBM acronym meant when I was young), who we will call PC, and the urban geek GenX chic dude, we will call Mac, banter (well, Mac banters while PC kind of huffs [and it looks like he might be a heavy breather!]). I hate these commercials. They irritate me because they really create this dichotomy where the blundering business buffoon is too corporate and Mac looks like he might have a vitamin D deficiency (get checked for Rickets!) but enlightens poor old PC. To be hip and cool is to buy a Mac, to be corporate and outdated is to buy a PC. That's what the message says and people buy it.
But obviously it is a functional marketing ploy. I apparently just don't like it and hence dislike their products meaning marketing does work (in the sense that it evokes strong feelings of association [or dissociation in this case- I also felt this way about Jettas]). I'm being bothered by marketing. SO silly, but every time I look over at his Mac, I can't help but think it looks anemic. To think in terms of food analogies, the Mac is a fresh mozzarella and herb panini while my ThinkPad is a generic burger. So slender and sophisticated, asthetic-gleaming like the heavens, compared to my big dark oafy ThinkPad. But you know what, I like cheap burgers (though my ThinkPad was anything but cheap, but you get the point). Plus you can get all kinds of toppings.
Oh, and my hands are always dirty and so I am afraid to soil the Mac.

4 Comments:
hahaha.. I totally agree. I hate those commericals as well, not that I work for the Idiot Business Man or anything :-P I also dislike the Jetta commericals along with the TRESemme (because of the stupid song which is of course really effective because it does a good job sticking in your head all day) and Herbal Essences (I don't think I'll feel THAT good using some shampoo) commericals, but I did find out that their products are actually pretty decent. Only if they didn't make those stupid commericals so I would try them earlier..
By
Anonymous, At
4:11 PM
I love the mac commercials. But I own a mac out of neccessity, and not any other reason. Furthermore, I hate people who think they are cool or cooler for owning macs or mac products, because Apple is a corporation, and corporations are inherently neither cool nor uncool. They simply are.
In the end the macbook is just another computer, but it does have a couple of neat features--one of which of course doesn't function on Mike's machine.
By
dan, At
10:44 PM
dan, "out of necessity"? what can a mac do that a pc can't? i know the converse is effectively true: a pc can't do anything that a mac can't. but the other way around? is it a particular piece of software that you "need"?
hyunmi, my only hesitation to buy a mac is that i can't build it from scratch. (well, i should say "from components"; i can't build a processor.) that and the inability to alter file type associations. ;)
By
josh, At
11:14 AM
watch out hyunmi! ever since Alex "switched" he's become an evengelist for Apple. He loves it so much he's making me switch. The only reason I haven't so far is cause I already have a perfectly good, functioning desktop PC and it would be a financial waste to get a new computer right now.
My own personal experience with macs goes back to the old clunky pre-osX iMacs that got the "sad mac" face every 10 minutes and were ridiculously slow. So I'm staying strong for now, but I gotta say, the Macbook is pretty damn sexy. And I like the widgets.
By
Anonymous, At
9:15 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home